Monday, February 18, 2008

The "cat" diet

Today was a holiday, so being the Federal Employee (not disgruntled) that I am, I had the day off. Doesn't mean I didn't have my work cut out for me this morning.
...it was vet day!! I'm smart to only take one animal to the vet at a time...I have 3 so that could be a nightmare...the drive alone would be suicide...

So, it was Raven's day to do..she's one of the 2 black cats I have...hence the blog title...anyway...her day to go.
...open cat carrier....hunt for cat....locate cat under bed...coax cat out from under bed...pick up cat(being careful not to strain back, cat is severely overweight)...lock cat in carrier...the whining begins...put carrier in car...drive 10 miles to vet...whining all the way...arrive at vet and wait in "the room"...more whining...try to coax cat out of carrier...vet arrives...power goes out...sit in dark with whining cat....power goes back on...finally...lenghtly exam..."your cat is fat"...whining...vaccinations...bloodwork...."your cat is fat"...exercise...diet...blah blah blah...

So the bottom line...my cat is fat...she is 8 years old and she weighs....drum roll.....17 pounds... vet has put her on a "restricted food diet" (isn't that what diets do, restrict food?) and exercise...how do you exercise a cat?? okay, I know with play and toys and all that...you don't understand, I own the laziest cat in the world...she even makes Garfield look energetic.

I also have another black cat..so now I'm supposed to restrict the food for one of them and feed them separate...so he has his food and she has her own special diet food...we won't even get in to how much the visit was!! But they ARE my children and I want them to be healthy...so you can't really put a price on that.

Raven is the youngest...and that being said, I now have a family of senior citizen pets. The other cat is 14 and the dog is 13....that's a lot of people years.

So tomorrow begins "the cat diet"...I guess we'll have to see what happens...she is supposed to have her first weigh-in in 3 weeks...sounds like Weight Watchers for felines...hehehe.

Please feel free to send me any comments, tips, or suggestions to help my kitty get back in to shape...she was such the ball of energy when she was younger...and I would really like her to be healthy.

Believe me, it's not going to be as easy as it sounds.

3 comments:

Mike Golch said...

oh poor kitty,but how do keep one on a diet if the other is not?problems,problems,I guess the other cat must be on the same diet.

Grandy said...

I see a new reality show on animal planet with this one...The Biggest Loser/ Pets.

Can you feed them both the same food? Or is it too expensive to feed them both that?

Dens said...

It hasn't been too difficult...yet. I just have to feed them in different places. that can be frustrating sometimes only because the one not on the diet wants to go back to the original feeding place...and he seems to like the diet food better than his own..weirdo!! He still gets his own food, but I mix in a little of the diet food..since it has some good vitamins..he needs the higher fat food though, because he is so active.
Yes, Mar, I think that would make a good reality show..my kitty would definitely be The Biggest Loser...
I was already feeding them good premium food. so the diet food is only a couple dollars more..but I can only buy it at the vet, so that is a hassle but well see if it works. She already has a little more energy and it's only been 6 days...
thanks for stopping by...